What we did when we had some programmers that were quite anal about large
/copy members that had a bunch of stuff they didn't use, was to bust it
up.  Here's a simplistic example:

Original member  COPYMBR  (Not a real life example, just simplified!)
  D MyDate                 s           d
  D MyChar                 s         15a
Became
  D/copy qcpysrc,MyDate
  D/copy qcpysrc,MyChar
Now, if they wanted everything in COPYMBR they could just include
  D/copy qcpysrc,copymbr
and that would get both other members.  But if they just wanted one they
could do just
  D/copy qcpysrc,MyDate

Now, let's take that to the next level.  Let's change all three members.
Now we have

MYDATE
  D/define MYDATE
  D MyDate                 s           d
MYCHAR
  D/define MYCHAR
  D MyChar                 s         15a
COPYMBR
  D/if not defined(MYDATE)
  D/copy qcpysrc,MyDate
  D/endif
  D/if not defined(MYCHAR)
  D/copy qcpysrc,MyChar
  D/endif

Now, let's say we have a program called PGM.  At first they had a
  D/copy qcpysrc,MyDate
Now, they wanted the whole COPYMBR so they added it, but didn't take out
the first /copy so they have
  D/copy qcpysrc,MyDate
  D/copy qcpysrc,copymbr
It doesn't copy in MYDATE twice because of the /define.  Get it?

I do a LOT of api's.  API's traditionally use an error structure.  I have
a member called ERRC0100
 /Define errc0100
 * ERRC0100 - Error code data structure
D ERRC0100        DS
D  BytesProvided                10I 0 INZ(%len(errc0100))
D  BytesAvail                   10I 0
D  ExceptionId                   7A
D  Reserved1                     1A
D  ExceptData                  250A
D ERRC0100P       S                   LIKE(ERRC0100)

Then one of my api members is called  QCLRDTAQ.  It looks like
 /Define qclrdtaq
 * Clear data from a data queue.
D qclrdtaq        PR                  EXTPGM('QCLRDTAQ')
D  DataQue                      10A   CONST
D  DataQueLib                   10A   CONST
 * Optional Parameter Group 1
D  KeyOrder                      2A   CONST OPTIONS(*NOPASS)
D  KeyLength                     3P 0 CONST OPTIONS(*NOPASS)
D  KeyData                     200A   CONST OPTIONS(*NOPASS:*VARSIZE)
D  ErrorCode                          OPTIONS(*NOPASS:*VARSIZE)
D                                     LIKE(ERRC0100P)

D qclrdtaqEr      ds                  likeds(errc0100) INZ(*LIKEDS)

 /If not defined(errc0100)
 /INCLUDE ROUTINES/QAPISRC,ERRC0100
 /EndIf