I did something in this area many years ago. I remember there are two major
issues.
1. If you want to do real transactions on your web server, you have to
"stick" the whole transaction to only one web server.
2. Most browsers will cache your web server's IP address locally whick
means user's browsers will not ask their DNS server for new IP address
until the cached IP address aged.

Best Regards.

James Fu

TDL Group Corp. (Tim Hortons)
Oakville, Ontario
Direct: 905-339-5798
fu_james@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Web: http://www.timhortons.com

             "Phil McCullough"
             <Phil.McCullough@
             arrt.org>                                                  To
             Sent by:                  "Midrange Systems Technical
             midrange-l-bounce         Discussion"
             s@xxxxxxxxxxxx            <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
                                                                        cc

             03/29/2006 09:33                                      Subject
             AM                        Websphere Business Integration
                                       Server

             Please respond to
             Midrange Systems
                 Technical
                Discussion
             <midrange-l@midra
                 nge.com>

This is my first post to this group -- hope it's not too stupid.

For CONTINUOUS Availability (CA not HA), we think we would like to
geographically "cluster" our two 520's as follows:
Our website is the only thing running on one of the 520's - call it the
primary node.

1) First we partition our other 520 and load the website onto it's 2nd
partition - making this the secondary node.

2) Then, we move the primary node to our ISP's computer room, about 15
miles away,
and establish a T1 link between the two machines (and the Internet).

3) Next we setup some sort of replication:  cross site mirroring (XSM)
or use the WebSphere Integration Server (which I know nothing about).
Whichever way we do it, transactions need to flow in BOTH directions
simultaneously (setup as peer-to-peer not master/slave).  (We have very
few database writes since 99.5% of the web traffic is serving up static
pages - just a few credit card and address change transactions).

4) Next our ISP assigns both IP addresses to our website -- 2 "A"
records.

5) Then, web traffic is routed to both machines at DSN's whim (somewhat
random I'm guessing).

Now, my hope is that if one node is down (PTFs, comm failure, backups,
whatever) then, web users won't really know because their browser will
have the other IP address as well and just retry there.  I've attempted
many ways to find out why everyone isn't using this simple solution.
There must be a reason.

I'd appreciate some feedback from anyone that's knowledgeable in
"geographic clustering", or as CISCO calls it GSLB (geographic server
load balancing).

Especially, too, I'd need to learn more about WebSphere Integration
Server.

Help,
Phil

The information contained in this message is confidential and may be
legally privileged. The message is intended solely for the addressee(s).
use, dissemination, or reproduction is strictly prohibited and may be
unlawful. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender
by return e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.

L'information contenue dans ce  message est de nature confidentielle et
peut etre de nature privilegiee. Ce  message est strictement reserve a
l'usage de son ou ses destinataires. Si vous  n'etes pas le destinataire
prevu, prenez avis, par la presente, que tout usage,  distribution, ou
copie de ce message est strictement interdit et peut etre  illicite. Si
vous n'etes pas le destinataire prevu, veuillez en aviser  l'expediteur par
courriel et detruire tous les exemplaires du message original.