Heres a for instance.

Typically in a non journalled environment, you may have a program bug, or
maybe a data setup issue in your database that causes a program to fall
over, and leave records in your database that are not really valid because a
transaction did not complete.

In a journalled environment, you can code your application so that if
transactions do not complete, the system will auto-magically tidy up that
mess, by rolling back the incomplete transaction when an error occurs.

Or lets say something as simple as someone turning off their terminal/pc in
the middle of a transaction, journalling combined with comittment control
would ensure that incomplete transaction are not left in your database

Journalling also gives you an audit trail of what went on in your database,
that can be used for all sorts of purposes.

I would always recommend journalling. Yes, theres an overhead, and extra
work in the app to make use of commitment control and establish transaction
boundaries, but really journalling forces you to do what really should be
doing anyway.

How do companies manage the data integrity issues without the use of
journalling?