Cook County is embroiled in controversy yet again, although this time it's
the machines not The Machine.  Nearly a week after elections, votes are
still being counted - votes that were supposed to be counted automatically
by the Sequoia Voting Systems electronic balloting machines.  And while
Sequoia insists that their systems are more secure than Diebold's because
they don't use Windows, as it turns out this is only the voting machine
itself.  The back end "WinEDS" system (which does the tallying and
reporting) uses Microsoft SQL Server as its database, and evidently it has a
problem counting a million or so votes.

DB2/400 posts a million transactions in seconds (or maybe minutes, but
certainly not days!).

I'm being a bit facetious here.  From what I could see, voters vote on a
touch screen, then the touch screen results are printed out on special
forms, which are then fed into a reader.  It's the reader that seems to be
the bottleneck.  But I'm just guessing.

Joe