Not sure I'm following you here.  Doesn't seem to make sense to check
for a duplicate key while reading sequentially.

When I check for a duplicate key, I always use random I/O.

The fastest way to do it is with a SETLL or using the SQL IF EXISTS.

> I vaguely remember something about the relative costs of
> different record-level/native database operations. I don't
> remember whether it was on this list, or the RPG list, or
> in a magazine, or a Redbook, or elsewhere, but I do
> remember something about examples that did exactly the
> same thing in different ways, and ran at dramatically
> different speeds.

Charles Wilt
Mitsubishi Electric Automotive America
ph: 513-573-4343