Thanks Wayne! We will try it on one system and see what happens...

Clare

----- Original Message ----- From: <wdjohnston@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, March 07, 2006 5:48 PM
Subject: Re: What could be affected by changing System Name versus ControlPt Name?

If you are not using SNADS, and Iseries Access is using TCP/IP, then the sytem name is not used by this connection.

If you want to change the network name for TCP you would do that in your DNS server. TCP connections may also want CFGTCP option 12, Host Name to changes. I'm not sure where this name comes into play.

These parameters were matched for SNADS communications in the past, but you could get around them matching with WRKCFGL by creating a local location list. Any name that was added to this list would then be an alias for the system in SNADS.

Hope this helps

Wayne Johnston
Integrity Technology, LLC

NO!!!   DON'T DO IT!!!!!

We used to have 2 systems with LCP  *NE  System-Name.   Although we
did figure everything out and everything worked well, there were
minor issues from time to time.  We were using SNADS, and, although
the instructions for everything hint that they do not have to match,
almost everyone does keep them the same, and IBM service "assumes"
that they match.  You could hear the *pause* every time we told them
they were different...

We finally converted everything to match when we migrated to our
latest machines.  A couple of issues with applications that talk to
the other machine; I think iSeries Access needed to be updated to use
the new name, but we changed the LCP name, not the system name.

Our main issue now is that one of our system names contains a # sign;
although IBM allows $#@ as valid characters, most everyone else does
not.  So we have TCP names that don't include the #.

--Paul E Musselman
PaulMmn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Clare--  I've attached a chart I use to match up variables from one
system to another, including the NETA, Configuration List, TCP/IP,
and APPC/SNADS variables.  I hope it gives you some assistance.

Does anyone know what is affected if I change the System Name on CHGNETA but
leave the Local Control point name as is? Am I right in thinking that
iSeries Access looks at the LCP Name and not the System name?? Is there
anything apart from BRMS that might look at the System Name? (Snads is not
being used). Also, I know that it is recommended that the System Name and
LCP name should be the same, but does anyone know why?? I have trawled
through the previous correspondence/IBM stuff on this, and am still not
sure!
I would like to change the system names of the boxes that are still called
S+serialno to make things easier for international e-mail, but I don't want
to break anything on those systems.

thanks,

Clare