Hi,

I checked again, if I try to print a varchar field using RLU, and compile
the RPGLE, it gives error:
"Varying Length input field is not defined internally as varying length"

My Table is:
Create Table Acc(Acode char(21), Aname Varchar(50))

My RPG Code is as under:-
FACC       IF   E             DISK    RENAME(ACC:ACCN)
FRPTRLU    O    E             PRINTER
 /FREE
  READ ACCN;
  DOW NOT %EOF;
  WRITE DET;
  READ ACCN;
  ENDDO;
  *INLR=*ON;
 /END-FREE

My RLU DDS is:

 A          R DET
 A            ACODE         21A  O     1
 A                                      SPACEB(001)
 A            ANAME         50A  O    +1

Do I have to put Varying Keyword in RLU or RPG ?

Best Regards,

Luqman

"Vernon Hamberg" <vhamberg@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in
message news:7.0.0.16.2.20060305174644.03863138@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> [...]
> and QMFORMs together give you what QRYDFNs do by themselves - get the
> data and present it on screen or in a report.
>
> You cannot use a QMQRY as you would a PRTF in RPG - it is not a file
> that can be named in an F-spec. It is executed using the STRQMQRY
> command, where you can optionally name the QMFORM used for
> presentation. And this is a CL command, so it is not intended for use
> in RPG - yes, you CAN use QCMDEXC, but that's not what it's for, for
> the most part.
>
> As I posted, source record length is irrelevant - long constants and
> captions, etc., get wrapped properly  in the keywords columns.
>
> There has never been a point to VARCHARs in PRTFs. You handle them by
> reading the physical file with the varchar in RPG, then writing out
> to the PRTF after moving the data to a report field. You know this, I
think.

> As to header/detail reports, it might be possible with QMQRYs - I've
> never done it, and I use these things all the time. And promote them
> all the time. Consider first that a QMQRY is a single SELECT
> statement - essentially a single file in RPG terms. you'd need to use
> a JOIN to get header and detail information together. No such thing
> as reading the header file, then getting matching detail records. I'd
> say regular RPG file processing is probably more efficient that
> joining in a SELECT statement. Can't prove that, however.
>
> Now it is possible to use level breaks in a QMFORM. And you can have
> break level text. You can have a header for each break, specify that
> it does not start on a new page, and that column headings are not
> repeated. You can put field references into this header. You can also
> have footers, which is typically where subtotals go. And you can put
> field references there, as well. So you could probably get a
> header/detail report - might be very nice, in fact. There are some
> limitations - e.g., the header/footer text in QMFORMs must all be in
> pieces <= 55 long. But you can have LEFT, CENTER, & RIGHT on the same
> lines, so this isn't so bad.
>
> If you use QMQRY/QMFORM you would not need the RPG at all, probably.
> QMQRYs can have substitutions variables, so you can use a CMD front
> end to a CL to get the values you want to put into the SELECT, then
> start the QMQRY, and ba-da-bing, you're done.
>
> HTH - I know I might try this a little more myself.
> Vern
>
> At 02:40 PM 3/5/2006, you wrote:
>
> >Which is more better for reporting in RPG, STRRLU or STRQM?
> >
> >I have noticed that STRRLU PRTF File does not support :-
> >
> >1. Source File > 92
> >2. Varchar Field
> >
> >Any suggestions please?
> >
> >Can I create a formatted report in STRQM, say, a Master/Detail Report.
> >
> >for example:-
> >
> >Master Record
> >
> >Name   :   Luqman                  Address: Room No. 27, Cantt
Road,Karachi
myemail@xxxxxxxxx

MIDRANGE-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx

MIDRANGE-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx