I'd like a copy also.

-----Original Message-----
From: FrankKany@xxxxxxxxxxx
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thu, 2 Mar 2006 07:47:27 -0600
Subject: Re: Fraud 36 page PDF

May I please have a copy of the report?

Thanks,

Frank W. Kany IV
Senior Programmer/Analyst
Unipres USA, Inc.
(615) 325-8428 - Office
(615) 517-1742 - Cell
http://www.unipres.com

Al Mac <macwheel99@xxxxxxxxxxx>
03/02/2006 03:23 AM
Please respond to

Starbase_club1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject
Fraud 36 page PDF

Would you like me to forward this to your e-mail?  I think some of my
e-correspondents might be interested, but I am not going to send it out
unsolicited.  I know there are a bunch of people at banks, insurance, etc.

on the lists, but please do not use the list for ME TOO want copy ... use
the list to DISCUSS the contents, if you think this is on topic.

Because I am on a European discussion list about computer security topics,

I received a 36 page PDF on How financial firms in Britain are managing
Fraud Risk, that was published February 2006.  This is a UK government
report, that reads like a US government GAO report & looks like it is not
copyrighted.  I read the whole thing and saw no restrictions against
sharing the report.

British laws and practices are a bit different from in the USA
so some risks will not be the same

All types of fraud are growing rapidly in Britain
Internet, Credit Cards, ATM, checks, money laundering, insider crime
total 16 billion pounds in 2004

The 2 biggest perpetrators are company managers and organized crime

Kinds of content in the 36 page PDF
==========================
* Governance laws and industry standards on the other side of the Atlantic
* Gaps found in fraud prevention practices
* Quality of police and judicial systems in resolving fraud cases (poor)
* Quality of reporting about fraud, and fraud prevention, to senior
management
* Evolution in Fraud management practices
* Support for Whistle blowing
* lots more

Examples of fraud
=============
* Open new account, deposit bogus check, immediately withdraw the max
* Forged Utility Bills etc. used to open bank accounts, build up credit,
then default on debts
* Criminal gangs engaged in false auto insurance claims
* Insider crime cases such as Post Office employee absconding with key
mailings on behalf of banks, then confederates using the contents to file
change of address with the banks, leading to draining the accounts
* Nigerian scam variants (steal from your employer bank accounts, or your
employer's customers)
* and others

Evaluation of systems
================
Voice Risk Analysis to screen customer phone conversations
Reported insurance loss vs. industry wide statistics
Plastic card suspicious patterns
Train employees to recognize "red flags"
and lots more

I think Homeland Security could learn from some of this

-
Al Macintyre
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:AlMac
BPCS/400 Computer Janitor ... see