Hi Peter,

Basically there are 3 different options, each with their pros and cons.

Option 1 - Have file and program in same library
  Pros
  - CRTDUPOBJ will not fail adding the trigger when duplicating file
    into QTEMP (introduced in v5r1).

  Cons
  - Does not easily conform to most companies dev/test/prod
    library structure and methodology.
  - Trigger program can only be changed when file is not in use.

Option 2 - Have file in data library and program in non data library
  Pros
  - Easily conforms to most companies dev/test/prod
    library structure and methodology.

  Cons
  - CRTDUPOBJ will fail adding the trigger when duplicating file
    into QTEMP (introduced in v5r1, this should be going away
    in v5r4).
  - Trigger program can only be changed when file is not in use.

Option 3 - Have file use middleware that executes application triggers
  Pros
  - Easily conforms to most companies dev/test/prod
    library structure and methodology.
  - Application trigger program can be changed when file is in use.
  - CRTDUPOBJ will not fail adding the trigger when duplicating file
    into QTEMP (introduced in v5r1).

  Cons
  - Code will need to be developed/purchased.

Hope this helps!

Joe Kempenich