Beautiful response Tom!!!

<qsrvbas-VsqqI1RANlHk1uMJSBkQmQ@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:<6E8ADBE4.1E1C5535.0021C8A2@xxxxxxxxxxxx>...
> midrange-l-request-Zwy7GipZuJhWk0Htik3J/w@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>
> >Yeah, I heard that in a webcast yesterday. System i5, System z9,
System p5 and I don't know what became of xSeries.

> >I really wish they would stop doing this. It is hard enough to
cultivate mindshare for these systems without IBM changing the name
every couple years. I think this constant name changing reduces the
credibility of the whole system. Every time you have to go to management
and inform them of another name change they just shake their heads.
Whatever the name, seems I always end up having to use "AS/400" as part
of the definition. At least we have some people in the company who never
heard of it prior to "iSeries" so presumably I'll be able to explain it
to them as the "next generation iSeries".

> I'm not clear on what it means to "cultivate mindshare" when the
mindshare that's being cultivated seems often to be "Oh, AS/400; that
old thing."

> Perhaps the best direction is _not_ to try to link iSeries or i5 or
System i5 back to AS/400s.

> I'm looking at an article in the June '97 issue of Midrange Computing,
titled 'Rebranding the AS/400'. The article argues for dropping the
'AS/400' brand name in favor of a new one plus aggressive marketing of
the new name. (Author was Al Barsa, Jr.)

> The rebranding did occur not long after, yet we're still arguing that
'AS/400' is the name everyone knows. The community also keeps pointing
out that the rest of the world views 'AS/400' as old, obsolete, legacy
and every other negative term we can think of. And we're still trying to
explain to others that we work on "...well, you know, an AS/400."

> Why? Apparently only so that they'll know the label to apply.
>
> The label, but not the system. Who cares if they know the label? In
fact, maybe it's better if they _don't_ know what label to use. Maybe
it's better if 'System i5' starts to stand on its own merit. There's
perhaps no need even to mention compatibility with previous incarnations
or past investment protection or that a System/38 program can be
restored and it will run.

> Instead, talk about _new_ stuff. Talk about the server technology, the
security, the hardware improvements. Talk about how the JVM is
implemented, about how multiple languages can be bound into single
programs, about dynamic LPARs.

> Don't mention AS/400. If they don't know what 'System i5' is, let them
ask questions -- "Can it do this?" "Yes, it can."

> I just don't understand what the problem is with others not knowing
something about the system I work on. For me, I simply work on the best
business platform available; it's _their_ problem if they don't, and I'm
glad to help them be curious.

http://isp.netscape.com/register

MIDRANGE-L-Zwy7GipZuJhWk0Htik3J/w@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx