Curt,

Haven't tried moving date fields so I cannot answer from experience.

A guess, though, would be to try defining the Excel column as numeric with the format. The column is probably formatted in Excel as a date field, which would explain the '38470' instead of the '4/28/2005' you were expecting. I'm usually going the other way (iSeries -> Excel), but even in that case I don't recall trying to port a date data type as most of our primary files have formatted numeric dates (such as 20060201) in the clear.

Other than trying various definitions for the Excel sheet and, possibly, for the DB2 field, nothing else comes to mind at this time.

        * Jerry C. Adams
*iSeries Programmer/Analyst
B&W Wholesale Distributors, Inc.* *
voice
        615.995.7024
fax
        615.995.1201
email
        jerry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:jerry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Curt Vancalster wrote:

Jerry,

If I import the date field from Excel to the DB2 file described as
numeric I get an error because it is trying to move a 5 digit number
into a date type field in the DB2 file.  For example, if there is a date
of 4/28/2005 in excel, when I transfer the data it tries to move 38470
into the DB2 file which is invalid. A field described as a date stamp in
db2 is requiring a format of yyyy-mm-dd-hh.mm.ssssss.

Thanks,

Curt
/snip/

Curt,

What kind of problems are you having?

Just yesterday I helped our accountant use the Excel plug-in to transfer

a report to an Excel spreadsheet.
        * Jerry C. Adams
*iSeries Programmer/Analyst
B&W Wholesale Distributors, Inc.* *
voice
        615.995.7024
fax
        615.995.1201
email
        jerry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:jerry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Curt Vancalster wrote:

I have an excel spreadsheet that I want to import into a DB2 file.
There are a couple of date fields in this spread sheet.  The DB2 file
has the same date fields described as follows:

Field Field Text Name Type Length Dec Last_sale LAST_SALE Z 26 Balance_forward BALAN00001 A 1
I am struggling with a way to do this and I am at the point now where I
want to just import from excel to a separate DB2 file but create the
date fields as text in this new file.  Then create a conversion program
to populate the DB2 file above from the file with the date fields
described as text fields.  Confused yet?  :-)

Is there another way of doing this...possibly an easier way?  I am
having a hard time believing that there isn't an easier way to do this.
I am currently using the Data Transfer to iSeries that is in iSeries
navigator V5R2's to attempt to do this but without any luck.

Thanks,

Curt VanCalster
Lead Programmer
Smithfield Beef Group., - Green Bay, WI