Hi

What fascinates me is that the competition hears just as well as we do. How many of them taped it, just to replay it to their customers? "Hear there!! Didn't he just say 'iSeries eServer...?' You see, they are not even sure of it themselves!!"

Folks, IBM should just drop the cr@p. Make the iSeries a database server/warehouse/generator on its own, with its own OS. Allow it to intelligently serve, index & manage and build its own content as per defined _access_ rules. It will be allowed to interrogate any db on any platform within it's enrolled environment, identify the structure and content of each column and extract or massage that data for its own selfish interests. DB2/400 (whatever it's present guise) is one of the most (if not THE MOST) secure database platforms available from a DBA and management perspective.

IBM can even give away DataIntegrator etc. Just as long as it can harness the content of _any_ database for the interest of its customer. In so doing, the iSeries / i5 can become the greatest _content_ server ever. And this content can come in any form or medium it wants to. Regardless of the client it serves, be this M$, Linux, AIX, OS/i5 or any other. The great attractions of the i5 lie in that it is easy to access, neat, clean, secure and predictable. In view of the fact that there are already so many platforms and applications that both host and present similair comtent, the i5 can gain the edge based on the fact that it can host ASCII/EBCEDIC, is accessable via both IBM / MS / Openource code and publishes all access/API code in the OpenSource environment.

In the same way that IBM is marketing the client/server component of the i5, why does it not market 'Interactive i5 datbse accees' via the same way? Or are we the idiots that they hint we are?

GKern@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
"I heard the voice over guy say, "iSeries eServer...."."

I heard that too.

Regards, Jerry

Gerald Kern - MIS Project Leader
Lotus Notes/Domino Administrator
IBM Certified RPG IV Developer
The Toledo Clinic, Inc.
4235 Secor Road
Toledo, OH 43623-4299
Phone 419-479-5535
gkern@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
*****
This email message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the
Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you
are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and