Below are the ones I know about.

--Dave

John P. Walsh wrote:
Could someone please provide a brief description of the following columns of
information on this report:
Recg Tech
??

Record Length
Used for blocked-record formats for data tape files. Save tapes (those written with SAVLIB, SAVOBJ, etc.) use unblocked format so Record Length doesn't apply, and shows as zero.

Block Length
Maximum length of blocks written to tape (with inter-block gaps between). Actual blocks may be shorter. E.g. for save tapes with USEOPTBLK(*NO), block length shows 32760, but actual blocks are usually 28762. You can see with DMPTAP.

File Length
Number of blocks written in the tape file (i.e. the library for SAVLIB).

Mvol Ind
Multi-volume indicator.
CONT = file is continued on next volume (cartridge or reel).
LAST = last volume of a continued file.

Mvol Sequence
Sequence number of volume in multi-volume file.

All the values on a report I have show a Record Length of 0000 and Block
Length of 262144.  Should that be?  Is a certain block lenghth allocated for
each library regardless of the space it will actually occupy?

That's normal for save tapes when you specify USEOPTBLK(*YES) on the SAV- command.

262144 (256K) is the typical optimum block length. In theory, it can be different for different models of tape drive, but 262144 is the only length I've seen. Old, small tape devices don't have the optimum block capability -- for them Block Length is always 32760.

These figures all refer to un-compressed data. The tape device usually does hardware compression so less data is actually written to tape.

John P. Walsh
Home: (941) 776-1758 Cell: (727) 543-8561
jwalsh23@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx