From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Jerry Adams
Sent: Tuesday, January 17, 2006 8:33 AM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: iSeries ads taken over by xSeries

I have a friend that has been in advertising since we graduated from
college (30+) and now a CEO-type.  He was, shall we say, disdainful when
I was explaining on what system I program: "Never heard of it."
Naturally, I had to set him right and, up to a point, succeeded.  But
his company has (a farm of?) Windows server(s) and just dumping them for
an iSeries even with an on board Windows server is not something he's
likely to do.

IBM has a huge investment in Linux and Java (and, of course, OS/400).
Plus these seem to be two of the big things these days in the IT
curricula so they're hitting where the grads and "buzz" are these days.
I'm not surprised.

My friend (see above) said I ought to sell iSeries systems, but I think
the truth is that we all should.  I was watching a TV show on the Inuit
(Eskimos) a few days ago.  Not Nanook of the North; use snowmobiles
instead of sleds (at least the part I saw).  Anyway, it made me think of
an ad.

A cultural anthropologist new to the area, apparently, is talking to an
Inuit when another Inuit drives by on a dog sled.  "Oh, that's Caleb.
Got one hell of a Windows server."  Next minute, the sled topples over.
Then another Inuit whizzes by on his snowmobile.  "Oh, that's Joshua.
Got an IBM iSeries server.  Runs, Linux, OS/400, AIX and has an on board
Windows server."  As Joshua zooms over the hill and out of sight, "You
know I've never seen him fall over."

        * Jerry C. Adams
*iSeries Programmer/Analyst
B&W Wholesale Distributors, Inc.* *
voice
        615.893.8633x152
fax
        615.995.1201
email
        jerry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:jerry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

GKern@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>Maybe the "i' now stands for invisible?
>
>Regards, Jerry
>
>Gerald Kern - MIS Project Leader
>Lotus Notes/Domino Administrator
>IBM Certified RPG IV Developer
>The Toledo Clinic, Inc.
>4235 Secor Road
>Toledo, OH 43623-4299
>Phone 419-479-5535
>gkern@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>*****
>This email message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the
by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.