> message: 9
> date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 06:39:52 -0600
> from: "Jones, John \(US\)" <John.Jones@xxxxxxxxxx>
> subject: RE: MIDRANGE-L Digest, Vol 5, Issue 68

> If your compliance person is worried about SOX, well, you don't
> have to
> retain for a year.  You have to retain for as long as your policy
> dictates.  We've refined our policy accordingly (after discussing
with
> our auditors, of course).

I'm with ya.  Start asking around what some one in legal vs.
compliance vs. auditing wants for email retention...  It's like "Who's
on first?" skit.
We are also looking at Unified Messaging. This is where voice mail is
also stored in you inbox.  I guess it means that you get work through
one interface, especially on the road, and 'do all your work'.  That's
gonna eat up storage quick too because I think that will be stored for
the same lenght of time.

> Also, retention can mean tape.  It doesn't have to mean online or
> near-line.

I know there are third party solutions, but wouldn't be nice if IBM
had encryption in BRMS using an encrypton card.  Considering email, in
our case contain insurers NPI (Non Public Information), we need to
encypt that.  On disk we don't have to.

> Regarding the iSeries, you can get 300GB 10K SCSI disks for current-
generation
> boxes.  For archival storage, these should be quite a  bit more cost
effective than >the 70GB or 140GB 15K disks.  Set  them upin a
different ASP or LPAR to mitigate the > difference in performance.

> iSeries SCSI disks going back to at least the beige C models (Bs are
> probably no different) use SCSI disks that can easily be re-used in
> other devices.

I think that is the point we're making.  They are standard SCSI and
are priced a lot higher.

>They are standard SCSI drives except that they come formatted for a
520 byte sector >vs. the industry standard 512 byte. Low-level format
the drive & it can be used in >anything that talks SCSI.

So IBM would support us using another drive (from Hitachi or Segate),
reformatting and popping it in the iSeries.  I don't think they will.

> Current iSeries SCSI disks will be from IBM/Hitachi or Seagate.  I
> don'tknow if there are any Quaxtor (Maxtor bought Quantum) disks
> and I'm pretty sure there aren't any Western Digital (or any other
players
> like Samsung) since they don't really make enterprise-class SCSI
disks.