Thin clients...

What about "Thin Clients" on the manufacturing floor?
 How about a device with the footprint the size of a textbook, no moving
parts, just a few ports for connecting monitor, keyboard, mouse,  barcode
reader, etc., with a specialized edition of Linux, and just a  few programs,
including Firefox browser, all loaded into some sort of  flash memory, which is
only updated from a server?      Low maintenance.  Nathan Andelin

I think thin clients are underrated, and they're going to catch on in ever increasing numbers and impact.

Naturally IBM, HP, Microsoft, all the heavies on the block prefer selling gobs of big-disk PC's for the obvious reasons.

But thin clients used properly could have most of the benefits of the 5250 screens plus the benefits of the GUI's where appropriate.

The 24x80 and the 27x132 grid has worked wonders, but I find myself yearning for getting more on a screen,

But I agree also that especially for heads down data entry, where that's still done, you have to have a keyboard-based system, meaning set it all up so they can use the keys for everything. That includes the cursors for scrolling, and the rest.

Once a shop got the hang of interfacing to thin clients, using Linux can be cost effective for your programming, Linux plus browser, even loading Java back on a more powerful server behind it (like an i5, eh). Your counter guys can show the customer the new models of the new widget-maker while placing the order, or the salesman, all that.

I think they're going to replace out the 5250s over time, eventually. Sigh. And for companies in general, somebody mentioned that the best talent will be going into new areas. I think that some of the best and brightest of us are still pounding out those green screens (ahem) because it is taking real slow to reach critical mass, but it'll come soon enough.

Might be more work for upgraded RPG programmers too, what's wrong with that? Put pretty pix with your apps! We really should be doing more than dishing out Excel spreadsheets to our users, because they need to see the beauty in our meat and potatoes apps! :-) And I'm not just talking about browsers, although users are now used to that, but Java interfaces are fine too as long as you can get them running fast enough!

--Alan