userid     password
quot site namefmt 0
binary
quot rcmd crtlib rmtlib
quot rcmd crtsavf rmtlib/rmtsavf
put lcllib/lclsavf rmtlib/rmtsavf
quit
-----
(yes, there are more than one blank space between the user id & password)

Does it work if you only specify one blank between the userid and password? (I'm sure you've thought of this already, but you didn't say in your message)

I'm overriding INPUT to the script, and OUTPUT to a log file, both are
source pf's.

No clues in the OUTPUT?

This worked fine last month ... but now it's not working.

Any suggestions where to look?  AFAICT, there's been no changes to the
system at all.

To which system? I assume that the client doesn't attempt to interpret the userid and password... it just sends it to the other system, and that system is what's sending you the error. So were there changes to the server?

The other possibility is that maybe the client used to strip out the spaces, but stopped doing it (due to some mysterious unknown factor) and in that situation it would be the client.

I'd start by removing the extra spaces and seeing if it solves the problem. If it does, great... if not, you'll have to narrow down which side of the connection the error is on and proceed from there.