From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Mark S. Waterbury
Sent: Saturday, December 24, 2005 9:30 AM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: What's SOAP?

Hi, Jack:

If you're an "old timer" then you probably remember "peer-to-peer"
networking,
SNA/SDLC, APPC, APPN, CPI-C and the like? Or, how about the old RPG II
ICF files, whereby you could "EVOKE" a program on another system? Or SNA
LU6.2?

SOAP is similar in concept, but instead of SNA, it is implemented as a
protocol
"embedded" in HTTP, so it can ride on top of an HTML data stream, where the
client can talk to a server, which is in this case an HTTP server with some
added
support for SOAP (usually via some "plug-ins").  And, since HTTP runs on top
of
TCP/IP, this is a technique that works across the internet, or inside your
intranet.

Hope That Helps...

Regards,

Mark S. Waterbury