Not that I would have done it this way, but IBM explained it to me and
this is what I sent on to the analyst here who had the problem

It's kind of complicated, but here goes...

Directory '/editpdta' had CRAIGS00 listed as the owner.  However CRAIGS00
was not listed as having any authority.  So, 'in most cases' it uses
*PUBLIC.  However, when you create a directory below /editpdta it took the
ownership of the previous directory into consideration.  So, when DAVEM00
created '/editpdta/userdata' he got the same authority to that directory
as CRAIGS00 got to '/editpdta'.  Since CRAIGS00 wasn't listed
individually, then DAVEM00 didn't get any explicit object authorities -
just data authorities.  And it carries down...
To 'fix' this I:
- added CRAIGS00 in the WRKAUT for '/editpdta'.
- Changed DAVEM00 in the WRKAUT for '/editpdta/userdata' to also have all
of the object authorities.
- Changed every directory below '/editpdta/userdata' to give the owner of
those directories all of the object authorities.

You should now be able to create a directory underneath
'/editpdta/userdata' and delete it right away.
You should now be able to delete '/editpdta/userdata/elpfilef'.