"Hewitt, Rory" <rory.hewitt@xxxxxx> wrote:
So I've just acquired a shiny new (well, actually very old) model 9401-150 AS/400, which my company was throwing
out.
. . .
Is it possible to hook it up to a PC running an emaulator,
or would I need a dumb terminal?
. . .

Congratulations. If up to now, all you've ever owned were WinDoze boxes, you are now the proud owner of a real computer.

Technically, there's nothing "dumb" about any Twinax terminal ever made. (And the same is also true for 3270-data-stream terminals as well.) A model 33 Teletype is dumb. An LA36 DECwriter is dumb. Lear-Siegler actually took pride in describing their ADM-3 as "dumb"; competing "glass teletype" models from Teleray are equally dumb. 5250 data stream terminals fall somewhere between a smart ASCII terminal (like a Lear ADM-1 or a DEC VT-100) and a low-end X-terminal.

Which is why I prefer the term "real terminal."

But for all that, you don't need one for your 150 (and it's really not all THAT old; we have boxes still in service that are older!). Assuming the thing has a Twinax port on the back panel, though, you will need SOME sort of physical Twinax device. You can probably still find PC Twinax cards somewhere; they typically come with a D-type socket on the back panel, into which you plug an auto-terminator "Y" or "T" fitting, which will then have two Twinax sockets on it, and you can probably still find emulation software, either router-based or direct, that can use it.

For many years, we used a beat-up, broken-down PS/2 whose hard drive had long-since died as our console terminal (the "real" terminals were on my desk, where they got much heavier use!) We've since replaced it with a used Affirmative Twinax Yestation (they apparently no longer make Twinax models) purchased on eBay.

Assuming it has a network card you can connect to, you can probably do most of your work using a TN5250 emulator through a network connection.

Best of luck, and please let us know if you want a copy of QuestView for it. At the same time, though, please bear in mind that the 150 was a miserably slow AS/400, so much so that in our experience, even the CISC boxes ran circles around our 150.

--
JHHL