I'm sure that there are people out there who will argue with me, but on
any box less than 10 years old I would set QMAXACTLVL to *NOMAX.

What you really need to weigh in your environment is the impact of too
few threads vs. the impact of to many threads running at once.  If you
truly need to throttle your threads down I would do it at the subsystem
or pool level.

Regards,

Scott Ingvaldson
iSeries System Administrator