From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Trevor Perry
Sent: Friday, December 2, 2005 11:59 AM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: Accounting Vendors

In the 21st century, why do companies have business processes that still use
data entry? I am so confused about our propensity to keep doing things the
same old way, simply because of familiarity or resistance to change.

Some thoughts:
1) There are so many new ways to collect data that are so much more
efficient and faster than green screen can ever be - from automating
processes using smart clients, to bar-codes, RFID, scanning and OCR, etc.
etc.. When we can save money with better computing processes, why would we
encourage old processes to continue. Isn't this the business we are in -
utilizing technology in the BEST way?

2) Why would anyone buy a NEW application with a green screen data entry
function? Seems like buying a car with a hand crankstart.

3) And, is there really a need to compare application software to ensure it
has "green screen data entry" if a small percentage of the actual processes
and screens are data entry? Why would you decide an entire suite based on
one or two programs?

4) HTML is thin and poor in function, and is easily confused by graphics,
etc. However, it can be easily tweaked (thinned further) to enter data in a
fast manner. Should everyone else review green screen application software
for their business just because you have not seen it yet?.

Trevor