midrange-l-request@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>   4. OS/400 i5/OS (Jan Rockstedt)
>
>A basic question, but still important for document. :-)
>Is this correct?
>
>OS/400 = V5R2M0 and older?
>i5/OS = V5R3M0 and newer?

I was told that iSeries i5 systems were a subset of iSeries that had specific
hardware requirements like the use of the Power5 processor. I don't recall the
specific hardware definition of "iSeries i5", but that concept was easy enough
to understand. As the Power5 becomes the standard for all models in the future,
perhaps all new iSeries will be i5s. (And when Power6 hits, there might be
iSeries i6 sold along with i5.)

>From that, i5/OS would be the variation of OS/400 that was created to run the
>i5 systems with their different hardware.

On the first V5R3 system I checked, the Licensed Program name/description of
5722SS1 is "Operating System/400" or OS/400.

So, OS/400 definitely goes into V5R3. However, i5/OS also exists at V5R3 --
hardware differences would allow for this.

As for what happens after V5R3...? I have an educated guess from some very
limited research, but it doesn't matter until IBM actually supplies something
at GA.

I started making a deliberate attempt at using the "iSeries" name quite some
time ago very specifically to counter questions like "So, you still program on
AS/400s?" I can say "Heavens, no! I haven't worked on one of those for years.
Don't you keep up with modern technology?"

Tom Liotta