The one issue I had with linux (and maybe it was due to the specific
software we were using) was those users who will use two, three or five
different workstations to access their email....sent messages would end up
being stored in different locations,

That's not Linux's fault. That's because you used a POP3 server. If you had used IMAP, you wouldn't have that problem.

If you run an POP3 server on iSeries, or Windows, or MAc or whatever, you'll have the same problem.

web based inherently always produces messages either in plain text (which the users hate) or html (which I hate), the matter of keeping all incoming messages in one location, etc.

In order for E-mail to be legal and readable by everyone out there, it needs to be in text or HTML. If you use some other format, it won't be readable by everyone.

If you use Exchange, the web based e-mail will still be either HTML or text.

The onyl way it can be something else is if the mail client (the desktop software, not the web based software) writes it in a different (most likely, proprietary) format. When that happens, you end up with mail that requires that particular software to read. I don't know of anyone anywhere that's doing that.

Exchange was able to solve these particular issues but requires a high level
of maintenance which I detest.

It's also more expensive, less reliable, more vulnerable to attacks and viruses... the list goes on.

Furthermore, when you use Domino or Exchange, there's a fair amount of learning you have to go through in order to understand how to properly administer it.

The same level of learning is also required with a linux-based solution. Although the e-mail software is simpler, you'll have to learn some basics of using the operating system.

So, in the end, it's about the same learning curve. But the Linux solution will be cheaper and easier to maintain. A Domino or Exchange solution will have additional features aside from e-mail, though, that might be useful.

In any case, if you're not willing to learn something new to support it, you're better off hiring a company who hosts e-mail as their bread and butter.

But if you want a simple, relatively low maintenance, stable, inexpensive mail server, setting one up on Linux (or FreeBSD, which runs the exact same software) is a great solution.

Note that David Gibbs, in running these e-mail lists and the TON of e-mail related knowledge that's required to maintain them, recommends Linux. That should say something to you.