On 10/27/05, Scott Klement <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > Case on password is important.
> > Didn't find any error log when PC command failed for any reason.
>
> RUNRMTCMD creates a spooled file that contains any output (including
> errors) from the PC command.

Found it! Good to know!

> 'start notepad' works, but 'start notepad.exe' does weird stuff.
> > Have to find out if RMTUSER & RMTPWD can be omitted (usage to be
> confined
> > within a user application issuing the RUNRMTCMD; if the user is running
> the
> > application, the RUNRMTCMD is valid for the user.)
>
> There's no way the Windows server can know if the iSeries user is running
> a particular application. Remember, securing the client-side of the
> connection doesn't really help you. Anyone (unless blocked by a firewall)
> can run commands on the incoming remote command service from anywhere.
>
> A Windows or Unix user can use the rexec command, which is similar to the
> RUNRMTCMD command to execute commands on the Windows PC. Indeed, even
> from the iSeries, you could use rexec in QShell, or the rexec() API from
> an application. Or if they can't do any of that, they can always write
> their own rexec program.
>
> The only thing keeping it relatively secure is that they have to supply a
> valid userid/password. Think carefully before you remove that
> restriction!

Obviously good points. I guess I see the beauty of the security in the Java
solution. It takes commands only from an iSeries data queue which, I
believe, can be locked down fairly securely. Locked down as in it's possible
to restrict who can send a DQE and perhaps even restrict the application(s)
that can do it. Please someone tell me if I'm wrong on that.

On the rexec side of the security equation, it seems less clear to me. I
know I've seen warnings about this in the past, but I've never pursued it
much prior to yesterday.

- Dan

-