Walden,

Regarding the coalesce(), perhaps in your join criteria, you could simply
explode the logic to specify the specific join conditions....

>From file1 join file2 on ( (fld1 is null and fld2 = fld3) or
                                   (fld2 is null and fld1 = fld3) or
                                   (fld1 = fld3)   )

In this construct, short-circuit logic will only test the first two
conditions if there are nulls involved.  The third term is invoked if
neither fld1 or fld2 is null, and specifies the default join terms....

It's a little verbose, but easily understood...

hth,

Eric DeLong
Sally Beauty Company
MIS-Project Manager (BSG)
940-297-2863 or ext. 1863

-----Original Message-----
From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Walden H. Leverich
Sent: Thursday, October 20, 2005 5:02 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Join vs. Subselect with COALESCE for join value

I'm looking for opinions/options/fact on joins vs. subselects --
especially when coalesce is involved.

I needed to change a view I have yesterday. Historically we took a value
from one file and joined to another file to get a description, simple
enough (ok, the view did more, but it's not relevant to this problem).
However, I had to enhance the view to take the value from one of two
spots depending on which was null. However, while I can "select
coalesce(fld1, fld2) from..." I don't seem to be able to "join file2 on
coalesce(fld1,fld2) = fld3". Is that correct that I can't join w/a
coalesce in the join predicate?

Second, this forced me to move to a subselect instead of a join since in
the subselect I can use the coalesce() in the where clause of the
subselect.

I guess my question is, does anyone know a way to do what I wanted with
a join, as I'm assuming the join would be more efficient, or does it not
matter?

FWIW, the complete view is below, if anyone wants to see the whole
thing.

-Walden

CREATE VIEW WALDENL/CVSVIEW01X
(
PET_MEDICAL_RECORD_NO,
CVS_CLINIC_VISIT_DATE,
CVS_CLINIC_VISIT_DATE_ISO,
CVS_CLINIC_VISIT_TIME,
CVS_CLINIC_VISIT_TIME_ISO,
RSV_CODE,
RSV_DESCRIPTION,
SUP_USER_NAME,
SUP_FULL_NAME,
SUP_DOCTOR_YESNO,
REF_VET_ETT_CODE,
REF_VET_ETM_CODE,
REF_VET_FULL_NAME,
REF_PRACT_ETT_CODE,
REF_PRACT_ETM_CODE,
REF_PRACT_NAME,
PET_NAME,
PET_OWNER_NAME,
PET_SPECIES_BREED,
RSV_CODE_ON_VISIT
)

AS

SELECT CVS.BRAZCD,
CVS.BRATD8,
CASE
 WHEN CVS.BRATD8 = 0
  THEN DATE(VARCHAR('0001-01-01',10))
 WHEN LEFT(DIGITS(CVS.BRATD8),1) = '0'
  THEN
   DATE(VARCHAR('19' CONCAT SUBSTR(DIGITS(CVS.BRATD8),2,2)
   CONCAT '-' CONCAT SUBSTR(DIGITS(CVS.BRATD8),4,2)
   CONCAT '-' CONCAT SUBSTR(DIGITS(CVS.BRATD8),6,2),10))
 ELSE
  DATE(VARCHAR('20' CONCAT SUBSTR(DIGITS(CVS.BRATD8),2,2)
  CONCAT '-' CONCAT SUBSTR(DIGITS(CVS.BRATD8),4,2)
  CONCAT '-' CONCAT SUBSTR(DIGITS(CVS.BRATD8),6,2),10))
END,
CVS.BRAGTM,
CASE
 WHEN CVS.BRAGTM = 0
  THEN TIME(VARCHAR('00.00.00',8))
 ELSE
  TIME(VARCHAR(LEFT(DIGITS(CVS.BRAGTM),2) CONCAT '.'
  CONCAT SUBSTR(DIGITS(CVS.BRAGTM),3,2) CONCAT '.'
  CONCAT SUBSTR(DIGITS(CVS.BRAGTM),5,2),8))
END,
--BRBYCD,
COALESCE(DZBYCD, BRBYCD),
--B4CATX,
(SELECT B4CATX FROM RSVPHY01 WHERE
   B4BYCD = COALESCE(DZBYCD, BRBYCD)),
CVS.BRAJVN,
RTRIM(SUP.ADAJTX) CONCAT ', ' CONCAT RTRIM(SUP.ADAKTX)
                  CONCAT ' ' CONCAT SUP.ADAMTX,
SUP.ADB1ST,
CVS.BRC3CD,
CVS.BRC4CD,
CASE
 WHEN RFV.AYA6TX IS NULL
  THEN ' '
 ELSE (RTRIM(RFV.AYA6TX) CONCAT ', ' CONCAT RTRIM(RFV.AYA8TX)
  CONCAT ' ' CONCAT RFV.AYA7TX)
END,
CVS.BRC5CD,
CVS.BRC6CD,
CASE
 WHEN RFP.AZAJNA IS NULL
  THEN ' '
 ELSE RFP.AZAJNA
END,
PET.AWA1TX,
RTRIM(CLI.A8BFTX) CONCAT ', ' CONCAT RTRIM(CLI.A8BGTX)
      CONCAT ' ' CONCAT RTRIM(CLI.A8BHTX),
RTRIM(SPS.AIAQTX) CONCAT '-' CONCAT RTRIM(BRD.AJARTX),
BRBYCD

FROM          CVSPHY01 as CVS

INNER JOIN          CLIPHY01 AS CLI ON CLI.A8AOCD = CVS.BRAOCD
                                       AND CLI.A8APCD = CVS.BRAPCD
INNER JOIN          PETPHY01 AS PET ON CVS.BRAZCD = PET.AWAZCD
INNER JOIN          SPSPHY01 AS SPS ON PET.AWAJCD = SPS.AIAJCD
INNER JOIN          BRDPHY01 AS BRD ON PET.AWAJCD = BRD.AJAJCD
                                       AND PET.AWC1CD = BRD.AJC1CD
INNER JOIN          SUPPHY01 AS SUP ON CVS.BRAJVN = SUP.ADAJVN

LEFT OUTER JOIN          RFVPHY01 AS RFV ON CVS.BRC3CD =  RFV.AYAOCD
                                        AND CVS.BRC4CD = RFV.AYAPCD
LEFT OUTER JOIN          RFPPHY01 AS RFP ON CVS.BRC5CD = RFP.AZAOCD
                                        AND CVS.BRC6CD = RFP.AZAPCD
LEFT OUTER JOIN ATSPHY01 ATS
   ON CVS.BRAZCD = ATS.DZAZCD
      AND CVS.BRATD8 = ATS.DZATD8
      AND CVS.BRAGTM = ATS.DZAGTM
      AND DZATDT * 1000000 + DZANTM=(
          SELECT MAX(DZATDT * 1000000 + DZANTM)
          FROM ATSPHY01 B
          WHERE ATS.DZAZCD=B.DZAZCD AND
               ATS.DZATD8=B.DZATD8 AND
               ATS.DZAGTM=B.DZAGTM)

 --INNER JOIN          RSVPHY01 as RSV on
 -- COALESCE(ATS.DZBYCD, CVS.BRBYCD)  =  RSV.B4BYCD

WHERE RFV.AYAPCD IS NOT NULL OR RFP.AZAPCD IS NOT NULL

Walden H Leverich III
Tech Software
(516) 627-3800 x11
WaldenL@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx