On 10/19/05, rob@xxxxxxxxx <rob@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> This is what he was saying, Steve.  If you were to write this for a PC
> would you write the whole thing in a .BAT file or would you use a HLL or
> some combination thereof?

I can agree with that.   my only disagreement is that .BAT files are
so 1990s at best.  As others in this thread have said, any language
that handles exceptions can be used as a control language.  I think
you can argue that nowadays, a control language is one that sacrifices
execution speed for audit trails, other means of problem determination
and compatibility with all the other languages on the platform.
Using this definition, you can build all the HLL features into CL  -
only you would not use it for all purposes because all the built in
auditing and interfacing with any and all code modules would cause it
to run relatively slow.

-Steve