Dave,

For what you're trying to do, you want to use built in functions if possible.
Whether to do it via SNA or TCP/IP just depends on what is available on your
VSE system and network. OS/400 supports both.

As far as the built in functions to investigate first, on the SNA/APPC side,
look at AREXEC. You will find this already in QSYS on your iSeries. You will
find that RUNRMTCMD with a *SNA remote location uses AREXEC as the underlying
mechanism. You would then need to have the corresponding target program on the
VSE side, AREXECD. AREXEC and AREXECD were part of an APPC suite that AFAIK was
built into IBM OSes, though I never had much contact with VSE to

Similarly, if you go the TCP/IP route, you'll be looking at REXEC and REXECD.
RUNRMTCMD with a *IP remote location uses REXEC.

If possible, you will probably want to play around with both and see which one
best serves your needs as far as return code information from the remote side.

All else being equal (which I'm not saying it is), the only reason I'd look at
APPC is if TCP/IP is not available on the VSE side.

If you find that you have to write code to achieve exactly what you need, my
opinion, ranked by ease of writing what you need:

1 - TCP/IP sockets (a strong first if available on both sides)
2 - APPC
3 - ICF

-Marty

------------------------------

date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 16:35:47 -0700
from: "Dave Odom" <Dave.Odom@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
subject: Re: Need to communication PGM to PGM between iSeries and VSE

Perhaps you and others can help me with the following:

What I have to do is compare and contrast if I should use APPC or
sockets to basically get one system to invoke programs on the other and
return codes to allow things to continue as I'd like
OR
if I just use FTP to create a file on each system and a REXX program
(being available in VSE and the iSeries) that performs a "DO LOOP"
searching for the existence of a file and when it sees it, takes action.
 The file is created when certain functions have completed successfully,
kinda like a Data Area bit on.  I need to understand my Return on
Investment of time and energy between APPC, sockets and a sloppy but
workable simple utility.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Dave