Up until this afternoon, we still hadn't managed to get it working. Then, less than half an hour ago, in the middle of a troubleshooting session, with no explanation, the test messages started going through as if nothing had ever been wrong.

I haven't a clue what was wrong earlier, But a big thank-you to all who helped me with this, especially Scott.

And BTW, it's so much faster than the Java solution that I expect we'll be discarding the Java solution in favor of it. Unless somebody can think of a reason why an end-user wouldn't want SMTP running on their 400, and would rather have a makeshift solution that soaked up twice as much processor time.

Oh, and one other thing:
In my own experience, I frequently have trouble creating IFS files specifically with the CCSID set to ASCII (819, I believe it is), unless I FTP them from a PC. Is there a trick to doing this without having to send them in from outside?

--
JHHL