On Thu, 6 Oct 2005, Gregory A. Garner wrote:
> What?  Strategic How?  What flexibility?

Well, suppose your code is entirely in RPG. If IBM fails or starts doing
something unreasonable, it's very bad for you. Someone whose code is
written in something that runs anywhere has more options than you do
because his fate isn't chained to IBM's like yours is.

Maybe your competitor company codes everything in Java or C. They have a
huge number of options about compilers, libraries, platforms, etc. They
are more flexible. They aren't required to deal with any particular
company, etc.