Folks,

Thanks to all who replied. There was an error in my original email. I had
typed the positions of the 5702 and 5703 incorrectly. The cards are actually
placed as follows:

C1 - 2844 IOP
C2 - 2746 Twinax
C3 - 9793 WAN
C4 - 5703 Raid Adapter
C5 - 5702 Tape Controller
C6 - 2844 IOP

Based upon all the documentation I could find (including the link provided
by JR), these are the correct card positions. Since the server was still not
IPL'ing, I contacted IBM Support, and they were able to verify that the
cards were placed in the correct positions. They suggested that I try
reseating them again. I did so, and the machine IPL'd successfully.

For the archives, here at the tools which I found useful:

As provide by JR, this is the link to the eServer Hardware Information
Center:

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/eserver/v1r2s/en_US/index.htm?info/
ipha8/icmain.htm

The following redbook is very helpful:

(PCI Placement Rules for the IBM eServer i5 and iSeries Servers with i5/OS
V5R3)

http://publib-b.boulder.ibm.com/abstracts/redp4011.html

And finally, it turns out there is a software tool called the LPAR
Validation Tool which allows you to build your server config interactively,
with built-in validation (hence the name!). The IBM support staff informed
me about this tool. You can download it here:

http://www-03.ibm.com/servers/eserver/iseries/lpar/systemdesign.html

If I had to do it again, I'd start with the LPAR Validation Tool. Doing so
would have saved me a few hours of tedious searching through the various
InfoCenter documents.

Thanks again,

John Taylor