I have a relatively simple RPGSQL program that runs an update statement
to find and replace with blanks any tildes found in any of several
fields in a customer data file.

I'm not using a cursor or fetch statements, just "Update File Set Field
= Translate(Field,' ', '~')".

I noticed while testing that when I run this program interactively, it
locks the table and/or records and doesn't release it until I end my
interactive session.

Normally this job will run in batch, so this shouldn't be a problem, but
I can't help wondering if there is a standard operating procedure for
avoiding this.

I found the following from Vernon Hamberg in the archives:

<snip>

DELETE & UPDATE acquire EXCLUSIVE locks during execution. These are
releases at the next COMMIT, or upon completion, if commitment control
is
not in force.

<snip>

>From this, I would think that "upon completion" of the statement,
everything ought to be freed up, as I am not using commitment control.
Or did that mean "upon completion" of the job?  Should I be using
commitment control for a simple find/replace update like this ?

Greg Fleming

Programmer/Analyst

Everglades Direct, Inc.