Hi Scott

I've had this blow up on me a couple of times now doing V5R3 upgrades onto 520's. I recall that MQ (and I think Websphere) had problems when dong the IFS restore and did not restore correctly. Once I get part of the restore having problems I figure I may as well do the whole lot manually.

We've now done a number of migrations to 520's running V5R3 by planning out what has to be restored rather than doing a slip install. Obviously testing is the key, particularly from the connectivity viewpoint. Part of our planning is to use OPTION(*NEW) to restore only the "real" users bits of QUSRSYS and QGPL.

Another driver has been that this can cut drastically reduce the time required for the upgrade. Migrating to a 520 from a 720 (for instance) via an upgrade on the 720 first would require a full system save, version upgrade inc. cumes, full system save, full system restore and that can add up to a few hours/days depending on the size of the system. Migrating the box means merely doing a system save then a planned out restore process. I've also ignored any hardware requirements here.

On the subject of directory entries, I simply wrote a program to re-create them when I needed to do this. If you have SMTP addresses associated with the directory entries (which can be a bit of a pain to extract/migrate) then you may want to check that restoring the QAOK* files includes this data.

Regards
Evan Harris