I assume you use an SQL query to get to the 'different field', correct?
Keep in mind that each query call potentially translates to thousands of
machine instructions.
I don't think it would be an I/O nightmare, as your request has to get to
that record regardless of the access method you choose.
Where you could get a hit is the CPU.

Best suggestion I can make is to test it, and if overhead is too expensive,
try rewriting it without UDFs.  If all you're doing is getting a field,
perhaps subselect, view, CTE (common table expression) or join could
suffice.

Elvis