> I have a need to create a few basic web pages (i.e., an input form or two)
and tie them into a MySQL database.  This will be on a unix platform.  I
have been told that my options are to use either Python or PHP.

IMHO, if getting a web page up as fast as possible is the goal, then PHP is
the one I'd go with. Its probably the fastest route.

Python is a much more general purpose language, and it can handle this
project with ease as well. It has a cgi module in the standard library it
comes with that is dirt simple to use.

Personally I use Python for everything I write outside of OS/400 (as I'm
sure other folks use Perl and such), and its been the answer for every
problem from simple file filtering/formatting to native windows services. I
completely admit to being biased, so consider the source. :)