The basic need is the ODBC driver or OLE/DB provider. VB can use it the same
way as it does for SQL Server. The only difference is the connection string for
iSeries vs. SQL Server. Or a DSN can be created on the PC. A great site for
connection strings, including iSeries, is www.carlprothman.net

Security is the main issue, in my view. E.g., if your developer uses a DSN,
he/she can change it to get to anything on the iSeries. Or a connection string
can be used to get to anything, so the developer has access to all. UNLESS--you
use the ODBC exit programs to manage all this. Object-level security can
protect you, of course, but not all shops are set up to restrict this access
well enough. So the exits, which control first point of contact, can be your
best defense. Several products exist to manage this, including John Earl's
stuff. Or you can write your own - it's not terribly difficult, just  a little
fussy. WRKREGINF and page down to QIBM_QZDA_INIT, etc. QZDA is the ODBC
handler. IIRC, QIBM_QZDA_INIT handles signing on and is where you would block
access by user. Others control where the user can go with his request.

More info in InfoCenter in the API section, IIRC.

HTH
Vern