I don't know, that article gives mixed reviews as I read it. Even Paul's conclusion says to use both as appropriate.

One of his "positives" is, however, not always a good idea, in my experience. That is the ability to create views over views. Nesting views can result in some of the worst performance you ever want to see with SQL. Why? Because the access path, as such, is not determined until the view is used. A view, after all, is mostly just a SELECT statement stored in an attribute of the logical file. And if you nest them, and they need indexes, existing ones will probably not be used, because the result set from the nested view hides any connection to indexes that could be used. You will get lots of index building on the fly, which can take a long time. With nested vies you have the optimizer working on 2 SELECT statements dynamically - there is no access plan save that I know of. I strongly suggest avoiding nested views. They make the code simpler but the performance often goes in the toilet.

Paul's hope that IBM will combine views with indexes in a single object, as you can do with LFs, will not, IMO, happen any time soon. The separation of views and indexes is an SQL standard kind of thing. Of course, each vendor can have their own extensions to the standard, and all do have some.

Paul points out that a potentially great performance and space benefit of LFs is not available to indexes - shared access paths. So, again, I think the article does not overwhelmingly support going only to DDL - not enough for me, at least to say "definitely" use DDL. If anything, a strong reason to go to DDL is that it is used on almost all platforms - not for performance reasons - see next paragraph.

The fairly recent article at iSeriesNetwork is flawed, IMO. There is a post in the archives where I state some problems I had with the testing methods. The graphs were presented in a fashion that was misleading - I do not say intentionally, but things did not look the way the data actually went, in my view. And I do not believe that the predicted performance improvement would often be attained. Here is the link to that post:

for your consideration.

Regards
Vern