> I recommend a RCLSTG after any abnormal termination of OS/400.  IBM says
> that this is a wild recommendation.

While I would certainly run it under those circumstances, I suspect that
most shops not on the bleeding edge rarely if ever have an abnormal
termination.

I actually run this every time I personally run a SYSSAV.  I don't ask
others to do so, meaning that it gets run once a quarter.  For us, it makes
sense to run it when the system is in restricted state.  Ryan, if you're in
the same situation, I imagine that you aren't running this very much.

For ongoing performance issues, I would look at three areas:  DASD
utilization, measurements on jobs/system activity, and security (I would
guess that the creation of user profiles and assignment of user access,
given the apparent size of your iSeries operations).

For DASD, you can find a significant amount of help in the FAQs.  For
measurements on jobs/system activity, we have a system so far ahead of our
needs that PM400 and some elementary reporting with TAATOOL utilities is
enough for us.

I'll also note that I started in Information Systems as a "Software
Analyst".  This basically stated that they didn't think I was worthy of
being named as either a programmer or systems analyst.  I volunteered to
take over the administrative functions of another person that was let go.  I
made significant gains by doing so.  I made _really_ significant gains by
not just creating user profiles and assigning existing levels of authority,
but by auditing and verifying those authorities.  A lot of iSeries shops and
staffs rest on their collective a$$e$ and don't do their jobs when it comes
to security.  My boss really appreciated the steps I took in that area.

YMMV.  I don't promise that the gains will always be monetary, or provided
by your present employer.