 >> But if you make calls to certain Java library methods you will end up
multithreading even though you don't explicitly multithread your main
application, I believe.

But multithreading per se is not the issue.  The issue only arises when a
non-thread-safe process (e.g. those associated with the workstation I/O) is
called from a threaded process under circumstances where it is possible that
a second thread could also be trying to invoke the same process.
Multi-threaded languages like Java can be run quite safely from within
interactive jobs or (for example) the Java HSSF classes could not be used
from an interactive job - which they can.

If pure multi-threading were the issue, Steve would also have problems with
his proposal to call RPG code since RPG code's run-time at the current
release is not thread safe.  It offers the ability to force threads to wait
until the previous thread has completed processing, but that brings its own
problems (e.g. deadly embrace).

It seems to me that as long as your design ensures that the non-thread safe
functions are only ever called by a single active thread then you shouldn't
have a problem.

I'm going to copy Bruce Vining on this to see if he has a more definitive
answer.

Jon Paris
Partner400

www.Partner400.com