>From the redbook on the .NET providers:

Data queues: For data queues, you can use the IBMDA400 OLE DB provider included
with iSeries Access for Windows. Testing of data queues through the
System.Data.OleDb bridge has not been performed.
This helps support your suggestion, to use stored procedures. I suppose this
still allows for waiting on the queue, as the stored procedure would not return
until something shows up.

The number for this redbook is SG24-6440. There are examples, as well as
extensive materials on converting to .NET technology from OLE/DB, etc.

HTH
Vern