Rob:

There are a couple ways to coerce CL into "writing" to disk -- I won't count QM
query since you're using it.

However, try making these changes:

Assuming four CHAR columns, for your QM SQL --

 INSERT INTO OUTQFIX
 VALUES(&q&OUTQFIX_OUTQ&q, &q&OUTQFIX_AUTHLIST&q, &q&OUTQFIX_CHANGED&q,
        &q&OUTQFIX_MSGID&q)

And to your STRQMQRY command:

  STRQMQRY QMQRY(OUTQFIX) +
        SETVAR((OUTQFIX_OUTQ &OUTQFIX_OUTQ) +
               (OUTQFIX_AUTHLIST &OUTQFIX_AUTHLIST) +
               (OUTQFIX_CHANGED &OUTQFIX_CHANGED) +
               (OUTQFIX_MSGID &OUTQFIX_MSGID) +
                ('q' '''') +
               )

That shifts the burden for quoting mostly to the SQL statement. The CL merely
needs to pass a single quote into the &q substitution variable that's used
wherever needed. You can vary that in numerous ways, but you probably can get
the idea. Too bad it isn't just a list option for the SETVAR() parm.

Consider this possibility if you have QShell installed:

  call QZDFMDB2  ( +
 'INSERT INTO OUTQFIX VALUES(''' *cat +
    &OUTQFIX_OUTQ *cat ''',''' *cat +
    &OUTQFIX_AUTHLIST *cat ''',''' *cat +
    &OUTQFIX_CHANGED *cat ''',''' *cat +
    &OUTQFIX_MSGID *cat '')' +
                  )

And also note that QLGSORT will take an input buffer as a parm and output to a
sorted outfile. The input buffer in your case would simply be a CL variable
with this value:

 [ &OUTQFIX_OUTQ *cat &OUTQFIX_AUTHLIST *cat &OUTQFIX_CHANGED *cat
&OUTQFIX_MSGID ]

The buffer can be defined for one record at a time or multiple records.

Tom Liotta