Whether to use Query Management queries (the data) & forms (the layout) is a good question. But you can easily try things out. E.g., the commands to create and execute QM queries are already in the OS - no extra cost. Query Manager, which is a Query/400-like interface to Query Management queries and forms, is part of the licensed product 57xx-SQ1, which also has interactive SQL and the precompilers.

The command to run a QM query is STRQMQRY - you can actually tell it to use Query/400 *QRYDFN objects. So you could see what it is like to run the things.

It is also possible to retrieve both queries and forms from existing *QRYDFN objects. There are some limitations - all join types in Query/400 are converted into type-1 joins. But you DO get a warning to that effect.

Query Management is based on SQL. A QMQRY is an object compiled from a source member that contains almost any SQL statement, including SELECT - RUNSQLSTM cannot do SELECT statements.

If Query/400 is an end-user tool for you, you could go to Query Manager fairly easily. Although it is actually SQL. it is possible to use it in a PROMPTed mode that is almost exactly the same as Query/400. There are a couple differences - e.g., layout is done by taking F13 to work on a form - and vice versa. This is instead of a single list of options as in Query/400. But not especially hard.

You can tell Query manager to use the word "file" instead of "table", so it feels more like good old Query/400.

And eventually your users might like learning SQL - it has more power than Query/400 - esp. record selection, which is tedious in Query/400.

There ARE some things Query/400 does more easily than Query Management - summary-only reports come to mind. So take a look at the Query Management Programming Guide (something like that), which you can find at InfoCenter under Database->Manuals (or some such). There is also a Query manager User's Guide that, IIRC, contains a nice tutorial.

Substitution values can be passed easily to QMQRYs - you can get different results based on user input in a program. But this is less important if this is an end-user tool - albeit still useful. But you can very quickly write a command and command processing program that pass values from the command prompt directly into a query.

I think you can tell I like these things - take a serious look at them.

Centerfield Technology at http://www.centerfieldtechnology.com has a tool, QUERY/convert, IIRC, that can convert multiple Query/400 definitions into QM objects. It will put the warning messages into the retrieved source, which the system RTVQM*** commands do not - the messages are in the job log.

HTH
Vern