From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Jerome Draper
Sent: Tuesday, August 09, 2005 6:23 PM
To: midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Joe Frank, 1943 - 2005

A very great man and long time friend of midrange.com, Joe Frank, passed
away last week.

We all owe a debt to Joe for his creative and imagintive work in the IBM
midrange arena.  He rose through the ranks at IBM from keypunch repair
to be an architect of the SSP operating system.  As the "father of 5250
emulation" in the late 1970's he brought us remote and local display and
printer emulation and file transfer (Emulator Transfer Utility).

Take a moment to browse through the midrange archives for examples his
wit, knowledge, and philosophy.

A breath of fresh air (although alone in an industry that charged for
everything extra) Joe would't take a nickel for tech support or upgrades
of his products.  "Why should you have to pay again for something you
already bought", he would say.

http://www.josephgfrank.org

http://www.synapse.com

If you know any Joe stories, please send them to info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx