Rob:

Under those circumstances, the authority for USER1 should be returned as --
*EXCLUDE. I.e., it ought to work as you hope it would work.

For 'adopted authority' (actually 'group authority'), I was only reminding that
a given user might have authority to an *AUTL not through private authority but
through group authority.

Consider the scenario where USER1 is not on the *AUTL at all but has group
profile GROUP1 and GROUP1 has *USE authority to the *AUTL. The List Objects a
User is Authorized to, Owns, or Is Primary Group of (QSYLOBJA) API has this
caveat: "The list does not include objects the user is authorized to because:
The user is part of a group that is authorized...". Nevertheless, USER1 does
have *USE authority available.

I suggested the Check User Authority to an Object (QSYCUSRA) API as a helpful
way to check whether group authority might exist for USER1 for the target *AUTL
even if USER1 isn't listed. But come to think of it, QSYCUSRA shouldn't help
you because you wouldn't get the *AUTL in the list from the first API anyway.
Hmmm... Seems like that requires a more roundabout method.

Tom Liotta