From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Pam Phillips
Sent: Monday, August 01, 2005 11:32 AM
To: Chuck Lewis; Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: Anyone connecting IBM 4230 printers to iSeries
viaEthernet/TCP/IP ?

On 1 Aug 2005 at 9:14, Chuck Lewis wrote:
> Was wondering if anyone is connecting IBM 4230 printers to the iSeries

> via Ethernet/TCP/IP. I got an email about a device to allow this. It
> is the I-O LAN RPC Ethernet Twinax Coax IPDS.
I used a few of those at my old workplace. The software configuration is
easy enough, and once you get it set up, it seems pretty robust.
On the downside, printing is slow; it seems to take forever for the
first spool file to come out. Also, between the unit and the power
supply and your twinax, there are several pieces to hook together, which
can come loose. Later versions got better at keeping them together.

It does seem to be the only option for getting IPDS twinax printers
connected to TCP/IP. I agree that it's pricy, but so is the printer.
As our network moved toward all Ethernet, we thought was worth it.

JMHO
Pam Phillips