According to Support Center per a PMR opened right after our
V5R3 upgrade:
"There is a new attribute in the IFS directories that has
caused issues
if you are using the sendmail API with the /tmp directory.
This can be
resolved by doing the following command

CHGATR OBJ('/tmp') ATR(*RSTDRNMUNL) VALUE(*NO)"
Worked like a charm for us-- also it seems this was a
contributing factor in our MSF croaking.