Yep you are correct. Stick in the SLIC CD (I_BASE_01) and IPL D Mode, Manual. Take optino 2 to initialize the system and remove all data. When the install of SLIC is finished take the option to install the operating system. When that is done and you get your first OS/400 menu, STOP. If you do GO LICPGM and take option 10 you will see that you are in the correct state at that time. DO NOT load any OS/400 bits or PTFs until all your stuff is restored from a SAVE 23 Then continue loading OS/400 and PTFs.

- Larry

Antonio Fernandez-Vicenti wrote:

Larry Bolhuis escribió:

You can do what you want if you do things in the correct order and order your i5-520 as a side-by-side upgrade. This process is too long to detail here completely but is documented in the backup and recovery guide. I use this process routinely for customer upgrades and have been 100% successful. I have gone from V5R2, V5R1 and even V4R5 (though that one isn't supported) to V5R3 in this manner. THE KEY to success is starting out with just base OS/400 on the 520. GO LICPGM option 10 *MUST* Show QGPL and QUSRSYS as *BACKLEVEL or you will leave land mines for future troubleshooting pleasure.

Larry,
I asume new 520 will come with ALL lic. software installed, even PTF's to a certain level. How do you start with "just base OS/400" ? Or would we have to "scratch install" the 520 with just "base OS/400" with Backlevel QGPL and QUSRSYS , load PTFs, reload all our programs, files, etc and then "slip install" again the 520 from the distribution media of everything and again PTFs etc? This is, more or less, as Upgrading in the 820 to V5R3+PTFs, then Save full system, and full reload to 520...
Or, am I missing something?

Thanks