I have worked with all the major iSeries translators, and a lot of the PC
ones as well.
The concepts between Inovis and Extol are pretty similar.  I have used them
both, but have a lot more experience with the Inovis product, and therefore
have a bias in that direction.  Both products are rock solid.

The user file definition is the link to the application.  It allows you to
define where the data is mapped to out of the EDI translator. (or where the
translator gets the data from for an outbound document).  While you can map
data directly to the application, I think it is better to have some sort of
bridge program and have the user file be read, and the data edited before it
is dumped to the application.  You usually only define the user file a
single time per application, and them build multiple maps over the user file
for each of your trading partner's requirements.  I always recommend to
clients that they use a partner specific map (one for each partner), so
changes for one partner never effect any others.  This is especially true if
you are on the "vendor" side of the business relationship.  When you are the
customer and sending out Pos to 100 different vendors, it is more likely you
can use a single map with all your partners.

If you have any specific questions about the Inovis product, post 'em here.
cjg

Carl J. Galgano
EDI Consulting Services, Inc.
600 Kennesaw Avenue, Suite 400
Marietta, GA  30060
(770) 422-2995 - voice
(770) 425-8391 - fax
mailto:cgalgano@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.ediconsulting.com
AS400 EDI, Networking, E-Commerce and Communications Consulting and
Implementation
http://www.icecreamovernight.com
Premium Ice Cream Brands shipped Overnight