On the 1 vs. 2 conference/year issue, I don't care.  But I will say that
there's practically no way I'd ever be able to attend >1 per year.  If
it would be reduced to just 1/year, I would strongly recommend it take
place in the first half of the year as some companies, if they are in
danger of making their numbers, slash training for the rest of the year.
That could eliminate people from being able to attend a conf in the
fall.  I've been there; I've had Fall classes cancelled because the
training budgets were slashed after mid-year quarterly results.

As to city, I would say look to where the highest concentrations of
iSeries folks are (really the highest concentration of potential
attendees) and try to go there.  Hold an annual poll on the COMMON site.
One reason I was able to go to the Chicago conf this year was the fact
that I had no T&E expenses.  Not only is this good for my employer's
bottom line, it ups my opportunities for attending more
classes/conferences throughout the year.  Training budgets aren't
unlimited.  I'm sure most managers would gladly pay the extra $100
no-hotel-room fee if it meant avoiding $1500 in T&E expenses for the
week.  Ditto for folks who foot the bill out of their own pocket.

Soe will argue they do better when the event is out of town and they're
away from their normal distractions, but I'd imagine others would also
be glad to be able to see their families, not arrange for extra child
care, etc.