  From: Greg Wenzloff
  To: midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  Sent: Wednesday, July 13, 2005 10:52 AM
  Subject: DDS help please

  We have a simple query on a file containing invoice information. The
  invoice number is the key value and is a numeric 6 field with no
  decimals.

  I now need to add one piece of info from another file.  My problem is
  that in the other file the invoice number is stored left justified in a
  22 character field.

  I studied the DDS manual that says I can convert character to numeric if
  the characters are all digits but I can't come up with the logical file
  that will compile.

  I can use SST(char_22_field 1 6) and get a 6 character invoice number
  but that does me no good with the joining of the 2 files in query.

  Can I create a logical file with a 6 digit invoice number from the 22
  character field in the physical file?

  Thanks,
  Greg